Thursday, January 30, 2014

Roaming Around Rome


As promised in my last blog post, here is a look inside of my apartment:

My room!
My closet

The other bathroom (complete with a bidet)

One of our two bathrooms
One of the shared bedrooms
The living room (plus drying racks)
Our dining room
The kitchen (And yes that is a washing machine right next to the refrigerator)

Okay now that you are probably tired of looking at all of the pictures of my apartment, here is an update on what has been going on here in Roma! It has been raining a lot here lately, and two Sundays ago I looked outside of my window and what do I see?! A DOUBLE RAINBOW!!! I have never seen a double rainbow before so as some of you might guess, this was a very exciting moment for me! It was so beautiful. I took some pictures of it and you can’t really see the second rainbow in one of my pictures but in the other picture if you look really closely you can see both.

Double Rainbow :)














Two Tuesdays ago (January 21st) it was Emma’s (one of my roommates) birthday! Of course all of us roommates had to go out to celebrate so we headed over to the Abbey Bar because it was also Taco Tuesday! However, when we got there we were informed that they ran out of tacos (Who runs out of tacos on Taco Tuesday?!...Yeah I don't know either). We were all very disappointed but we were so hungry that we ordered other things off of their menu. Megan and I split a basket of chicken fingers and everyone else got nachos. Then after we devoured our food, we went to Sloppy Sams. Bria and I tried something new and got a Miami Iced Tea, which was pretty tasty. All in all, we all had a fun night just dancing and hanging out at the bar.

On Thursday Laura, Danielle, and Lauren left for Interlaken, Switzerland so it was just Emma, Megan, Bria, and me that stayed in Rome for the weekend. That night we went to one of the gelato places and got a nutella crepe with gelato on top. It was one of the most delicious desserts that I have ever had. However, it also gave me the biggest food coma that I have ever had as well. I literally had to lay down on the couch because I could not move. Luckily, my wonderful roommate, Bria, made me some green tea which helped soothe my stomach pain. We definitely could have split the nutella crepe because it was just too much to eat. I will for sure be getting it again but next time I am going to split one with someone else so I won't have to relive the experience of that food coma!

My Nutella Crepe with Gelato. Mouthwatering.

On Friday we went to dinner at a restaurant that was near the Pantheon. We got a table outside, and we had a wonderful view of the Pantheon from where we were seated. I ordered ravioli with spinach and ricotta and got a chocolate dessert cup (because everyone knows that a meal isn't complete without dessert!). I also tried Limoncello, which I was not exactly a fan of since it was quite sour but I guess it is just an acquired taste. Then we went out to the Drunken Ship and got drinks. Their music was on-point that night, especially when they played “Get Outta Your Mind” and “Get Low” (I love me some Lil Jon!). Then we went to a nearby club called Mood. I didn’t know very many of the songs at Mood since a lot of them were Spanish but nonetheless we tore up the dance floor and danced the night away until 4 in the morning.

The next day, all of us slept in (typical) but even more so than usual since we were out so late the night before. After we finally got up we went to the Colosseum because we wanted to tour the inside. Before we reached the Colosseum we made a pit stop because we saw this HUGE donut that we could not pass up because it looked super scrumptious so Bria and I split one of the humungous donuts. We continued walking toward the Colosseum while munching on our donut, and when we finally got there the Colosseum was closed (Fail #1). So we will just have to go back another day since our mission didn’t go as planned. After our failed attempt to see the inside of the Colosseum we walked to the Jewish Ghetto and wandered around that area. I wanted to try to find a bagel there since bagels are rare to find here in Rome but we were too full, tired, and cold so we headed back home. By the time we got back home we were exhausted so we all just crashed early.

The donut was bigger than my head
On Sunday I forced myself to wake up early and went to the Vatican at 7:45 in the morning. The Vatican was absolutely exquisite! I was in awe. After taking everything in, we walked over to the Sistine Chapel to try to get in because it is free on the last Sunday of each month but the line was so incredibly long and wrapped around 2 and a half blocks so we decided to just come back a different day when it will be much less crowded (Fail #2). Then we walked back home and I climbed right back into bed and took a 3 hour nap. After I felt rejuvenated from my nap, we went to get pizza and walked up to the top of Gianicolo Hill to watch the sunset. The view was spectacular! One of my roommates, Emma, and I were talking about going back to Gianicolo Hill to watch the sunrise so I will have to do that one of these upcoming weeks too!

The Vatican

As for tonight, I will be heading to LONDON!!!! The other day I booked a last minute flight to London to meet up with one of my best friends, Chen, who is studying abroad in Paris but has these next two weeks off. We are going to see what Londontown has to offer, and we are going to see Taylor Swift in concert on Sunday night so I am super stoked for that. So I will update you on London next week! Ciao for now my friends.

                                                                        XOXO Jaden Ellesse


No comments:

Post a Comment